Thursday, January 26, 2012

RECIPE: Honey & Molasses-Glazed Chicken

I have decided that I have a bad penchant for taking the path of least resistance when it comes to food.  That is, I tend to gravitate toward the cheap carbs, like the Ezekiel bread you can find at Harps or the great range of sprouted-grain breads, bagels, pastas, tortillas, and pocket breads that are available at Ozark Natural (my go-to place for whole, bulk, and healthy foods now).  These carbs are not bad in the big scheme of things--but they're still pretty worthless if they're your primary food group.

And so, because I like meat the same way that women like classy gentlemen, I decided I would try to introduce a little more protein into my diet.  (Protein is not to be confused with peanut butter, a divine substance which I believe stands as a food group in and of itself.)  Hence, I shopped the weekly special at Aldi and picked up a pack of drumsticks, simply because I've never cooked drumsticks before and they're a relatively inexpensive cut of meat, especially at Harps on a Wednesday evening.





Honey & Molasses-Glazed Chicken


INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon garlic, minced or crushed
1 teaspoon olive oil
10 chicken drumsticks, skinned
salt & pepper, freshly ground, to taste

DIRECTIONS

Whisk together the water, honey, balsamic, Dijon, molasses, and garlic.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and season the chicken with the salt and pepper.  Once the pan is sizzling hot, add chicken and brown on all sides.  Pour the honey & molasses mixture over the browned chicken, turning the drumsticks to coat.





Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cover and cook the drumsticks for 15 minutes or until done, turning the chicken every 5 minutes.  Uncover and cook for an additional minute or until the honey-molasses mixture is thick and rich in color.  Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes before eating.  Cover and chill your leftovers--they make an excellent base for something like my chicken and wild rice casserole.


VERDICT?  I rather enjoyed this one.  I haven't made a sweet chicken recipe before, and it made a refreshing change from the dry and bland overcooked chicken that is so common in this area.  The meat practically flaked off of the bone, and even though it was sticky and messy it was a delight to eat.  Best of all, it violates none of the laws of the Body Chemistry Diet, and it's safe to eat for anyone with a gluten intolerance, as well.  Extra points!

No comments:

Post a Comment